Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Department of English offers a minor in American literature to N.C. State students, except for English majors in the Literature concentration (16ENGLBA 16ENGLLT) . The minor consists of any five courses in American literature, three of which must be at the 300 level or above, and one of which must be at the 400-level. Students may transfer in no more than six hours toward the minor. This minor will focus on the English-language literature of the United States and of the British colonies out of which the United States emerged. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- 15 hours (5 courses) in American literature
- No more than 6 hours of transfer credit
- 3 courses must be at the 300-level or above
- 1 course must be at the 400-level or above
- An overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-‘.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- ENG 248 Survey of African American Literature
- ENG 252 Major American Writers
- ENG 265 American Literature I
- ENG 266 American Literature II
- ENG 298 Special Projects (when the topic is in American Literature)
- ENG 368 American Poetry to 1900
- ENG 369 The American Novel of the Nineteenth Century
- ENG 420 Major American Author
- ENG 448 African-American Literature
- ENG 468 American Romantics
- ENG 469 American Realism and Naturalism
- ENG 470 American Literature, 1914-1945
- ENG 471 American Literature, Since 1945
- ENG 476 Southern Literature
- ENG 491 Honors in English (when the topic is in American literature)
- ENG 498 Special Topics in English (when the topic is in American literature)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Students interested in declaring a minor in Technical and Scientific Communication should contact the minor coordinator listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
Contact PersonAllen Stein
email@example.com SIS Code: 16ALM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION