The University Undergraduate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management is available to any student enrolled as a non-degree studies (NDS) student at NC State University and is currently enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year degree program at an accredited college or university or has already received an Associate’s degree. This Certificate is not available to currently enrolled N.C. State degree seeking students. This certificate provides individuals an opportunity to learn basic business and economic principles that are useful in careers in agricultural and related industries.
Dr. John S. Russ
Director of ARE Distance Education
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics (ARE)
NC State University
Nelson Hall, Room 3346
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695
More information is available at the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics website [Click Here]
PROGRAM OF STUDY
Required Course to be taken via distance education (section 601)
ARE 201 – Introduction to Agricultural and Resource Economics* (C- minus or higher) (3 credit hours)
*ARE 201-601 must be successfully completed before enrollment in any Elective courses.
Elective Courses to be taken via distance education (section 601) (12 credit hours)
All courses provide 3 credit hours each.
Only one course can be selected from each numbered group:
- ARE 303 – Farm Business Management – OR – ARE 304 – Agribusiness Management
- ARE 306 – Agricultural Law – OR – ARE 309 – Environmental Law and Economic Policy
- ARE 311 – Agricultural Markets – OR – ARE 312 – Agribusiness Marketing
- ARE 215 – Small Business Accounting
- ARE 323- Agribusiness Finance
- ARE 332 – Human Resource Management for Agribusiness
- ARE 345 – Global Agribusiness Management
- ARE 444- Ethics in Agribusiness
- ARE 495 – Special Topics in Agricultural and Resource Economics* (3 credit hours)
*Any ARE 495-601 section must be pre-approved for the certificate by the Distance Education Coordinator. ARE 495-601 may only be taken after the successful completion of 12 credit hours.
- Must be currently enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year degree program at an accredited college or university and provide proof of a 2.5 GPA or higher; or must have received an Associate Degree from an accredited institution;
- Proof of current enrollment in an Associate Degree or B.S. or B.A. Degree program, or receipt of an Associate Degree, is required via an official copy of applicant’s transcript from the degree conferring institution, before the application can be reviewed.
- Not enrolled in a 4-year undergraduate degree program at N.C. State University; and
- Accepted as a Non-Degree Studies Student through DELTA, if not already enrolled.
The following are the requirements that must be met to receive a University Undergraduate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management:
- Associate Degree or Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree must be received prior to receiving the University Undergraduate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management. Proof of receipt of Associate Degree or B.S. or B.A. Degree is required, by providing updated official copy(ies) of applicant’s transcript(s) from the degree conferring institution(s), before the certificate may be awarded. This requirement must be fulfilled in addition to other certificate program requirements.
- Completion of 15 credit hours from the list of required and elective courses with a grade of C- or higher received for each course and an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved upon completion of all required courses.
- Four (4) years will be allowed for completion of all courses. The time limit starts with enrollment in the first course. Students will be allowed to defer no more than two semesters after acceptance into the program.
- All courses must be 601 sections taken through distance education unless special approval is granted for completion of an on-campus section to allow the student to successfully complete the course sequence for receipt of the Undergraduate ABM Certificate.
- None of the required 15 credit hours may be taken for S/U (credit only).
- No transfer credits from other institutions to fulfill certificate course requirements are allowed.
- Students currently enrolled in the Agricultural Business Management major or who would qualify for the ABM minor do not qualify for this program.
Total Credit Hours Required: 15
Plan of Study and Registration Information
Contact the Program Coordinator.
Term Effective: 1/2010
Plan Code: 32ABMCTU
CIP Code: 01.0102
Description: Undergraduate Certificate in Agricultural Business Management
Offered via Distance Education only