The University Associate Certificate in Agribusiness Management is available to any student enrolled as a non-degree studies (NDS) student at North Carolina State University. This certificate is not available to students enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year degree program at N.C. State University. This certificate provides individuals an opportunity to learn applied business and economic principles that are useful in career in agricultural and related industries. These could include careers in horticulture, landscaping, and chemical and farm equipment sales, as well as the production and distribution of crops and other commodities.
Dr. John S. Russ
Director of ARE Distance Education
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics (ARE)
NC State University
Nelson Hall, Room 3346
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695
Additional information available on the departmental website for this certificate at http://go.ncsu.edu/agribusiness_online.
Plan Code: 32AGPCTA
Required Courses to be taken via distance education (section number 601) (15 credits):
- ARE 104 Agricultural Business Management (3); and
- ARE 201 Introduction to Agricultural and Resource Economics (3); and
3 of the following courses
- ARE 106 Agribusiness Law (3)
- ARE 112 Agricultural and Agribusiness Marketing (3) OR ARE 113 Principles of Salesmanship (3)
- ARE 115 Agribusiness Accounting (3)
- ARE 132 Management of Personnel (3)
- ARE 133 Agricultural and Environmental Policy (3)
- Have received a High School Diploma or a GED at lease 12 months prior to applying to this program;
- Not enrolled in a degree program (2-year or 4-year) at N.C. State;
- Acceptance as a Non-Degree Studies (NDS) student through DELTA, if not already enrolled;
- Completed certificate program application that may be submitted to ARE at any time throughout the year; and
- Must be accepted into the AAS Certificate in Agribusiness Management program.
- Completion of 15 credit hours from the list of required courses with a grade of C- or higher received for each course; and an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved upon completion of all required courses.
- Three (3) years will be allowed for completion of all courses. The time limit starts with enrollment in the first course. Students will be allowed to defer no more than two semesters after acceptance into the program. Courses may be completed in any order.
- All courses must be taken through distance education unless special approval is granted for completion of an on-campus section to allow the student to successfully complete the course sequence for receipt of the certificate.
- None of the required 15 credit hours may be taken for S/U or “credit-only.”
- No pre-requisite course requirements are needed.
- No transfer credits from other institutions to fulfill certificate course requirements are allowed. Students currently enrolled in a 2-year Agribusiness Management degree program, or who would qualify for a 2-year degree AGB concentration, do not qualify for this certificate program.
Total Credit Hours Required: 15
Plan of study
Contact the Program Coordinator
Registration/Financial Aid information
Acceptance as a Non-Degree Studies (NDS) student at N.C. State University does not imply acceptance into this certificate program. NDS students must also apply to the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics to be accepted into this certificate program. Potential students should check to see if their financial aid will provide tuition for all courses required for this program. Financial aid may not be available for this certificate, or other non-degree programs or certificates at N.C. State University. Contact the Program Coordinator for more information.
Term Effective: 1/2012
Plan Code: 32AGPCTA
CIP Code: 01.0101
Description: Associate Certificate in Agribusiness Management
Offered via Distance Education only