Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Africana Studies minor provides a comparative and interdisciplinary study of the Black experience in Africa and the Americas. Four required courses include an introduction to African Civilizations (AFS 240), Introduction to African American Studies (AFS 241), Introduction to the African Diaspora (AFS 342), and AFS/WGS 380 Black Feminist Theory. One elective course may be selected from a list of designated courses in such disciplines as anthropology, communication, English, history, political science, psychology, social work, and sociology. The minor is designed to bring together students from diverse backgrounds and curricula who share a common interest in the global experience of African people. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Completion of 15 credit hours.
- A minimum grade of ‘C’ (2.0) or better must be achieved in each course counting towards the minor.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- AFS 240 African Civilizations
- AFS 241 Introduction to African American Studies
- AFS 342 Introduction to the African Diaspora
- AFS/WGS 380 Black Feminist Theory
Elective Courses (3 credit hours)
- AFS/ENG 248 Survey of African American Literature
- AFS/HI 275 History of South and East Africa
- AFS/HI 276 History of West Africa
- AFS/SOC 305 Race and Ethnic Relations
- AFS 343 African Religions
- AFS 344 Leadership in the African American Communities
- AFS/PSY 345 Psychology and the African American Experience
- AFS 346 Black Popular Culture
- AFS/ENG 349 African Literature in English
- AFS/HI 372 African American History through 1865
- AFS/HI 373 African American History after 1865
- AFS/ENG 375 African American Cinema
- AFS/PS 409 Black Political Participation in America
- AFS 442 Issues in African Diaspora Studies
- AFS/ENG 448 African American Literature
- AFS/HI 455 History of the Civil Rights Movement
- AFS/HI 475 History of South Africa
- AFS/HI 476 Leadership in Modern Africa
- AFS/HI 479 Africa (sub-Saharan) in the 20th C.
- AFS 491 Study Abroad in Africana Studies
- ANT 330 Peoples and Cultures of Africa
- PHI 319 Africana Political Philosophy
- SW 413 African American Families: History, Tradition, and Community
Students interested in pursuing the African-American Studies minor should consult with Dr. Haddy Njie as listed below.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Dr. Njie will certify completion of the minor. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.